Friday, August 28, 2015

What a Great Time of Year




Frankly, I'm amazed that more people don't come here to fish in August.  It's a wonderful time of year especially for fishing Indian Lake.  In the spring when most folks come, you have to get up very early in the morning before the sun comes up to have the best Walleye fishing since this is a clearer lake than most of the others.  You also have better fishing on Indian in the evening just as the sun is setting over the horizon.  In the spring, that is pretty late. 

However, in August the days are shorter.  You can get your work done all day and then about 6 pm launch the boat and head for your favorite fishing spot, which is just what I did yesterday.

It was a gorgeous evening.  I was the only one on the lake.  There was a bit of chop, but very little wind.  I anchored in my spot which feels like the middle of the lake.  Seagulls are screeching nearby and floating with a large group of migrating loons.  The sun is a bright red ball sinking over the horizon.  Such peace and quiet.  There's nothing like it.  I put on a jighead with a leech and dropped it over the side of the boat and sat and sat and sat.  Not even a bite.  A smallmouth bass leaped out of the water about 20 feet from me.  So I thought maybe I'd try a new lure that my brother from Georgia just sent me.  When he was here a few weeks ago, he had caught about five nice size Smallmouth Bass in this very spot with that particular lure.  I made about ten casts with no luck, so switched back to Walleye fishing with the jighead. 

This happens every time like clockwork.  Just as the sun is setting over the far hills, the Walleye start to bite.  Instantly, I felt a light tug, tug, tug.  I thought, "Wow, these guys are just pecking at it.  I'd better give them a few more seconds to really get hold of it."
Then giving a hard jerk to set the hook, I feel that wonderful weight at the end of my bent over rod and I reel up a nice 17 inch Walleye.  No sooner had I fastened him to the stringer, rebaited my hook and let it down before there was another nibble, nibble, nibble.  Jerk the rod... pull up another nice Walleye.  Another 17 incher.  This is really fun.

My next catch was a 21 inch Walleye that actually bent my little hook.  I threw him back to make some more babies since they are the best producers.  I lost another one that size and had many more bites.  I ended up taking home three good eating size Walleyes.  Not bad for about an hour of fishing!!

The pictures are of Brian and Laura Allick who camp here for about 11 days every August.  Laura's was 26 inches and Brian's 27 inches.  Brian has fished here since he was a kid, so he knows the lake real well.  Soon as they got here they landed these beautiful fish which was pretty exciting to them. 

So come on up and get in on some fun fall fishing. 

No comments: