That's right, the ice on Indian Lake officially went out yesterday on May 19th! Joanna and I paddled a canoe up the river and into the lake just to see what was happening and found the lake totally opened up. Along shore in a bay we found a bit of ice about 20 feet in diameter still floating. It was thin and mushy and we had fun plowing right into it and poking it with our paddles. It was a couple of inches thick. We easily pushed our way around in it. I've never had the pleasure of doing that before. It was a great relief to finally see all open water.
So, all our upcoming guests can sigh in relief that you will have a lake to fish upon when you arrive. The plumbing to the two waterfront cabins and the fish house also melted and we have accessible water everywhere now. Whew!!
Today it has rained and rained and rained, a good soaking rain and lots of wind. We surely needed this moisture and it helps keep down any fire danger. We are thankful.
Friday, May 17, 2013
I just returned from a four wheeler trip over to the north end of Indian Lake to take some pictures of the ice melting progress. The ice is definitely thinner than a few days ago. It wouldn't take much more to push it out. A nice strong wind would be helpful. It looks like the weather forecast is for rain on Saturday through Wednesday. That will help cut it too. On the last two pictures, I zoomed in closer so you could see the ice more clearly.
It's May14, 2013 and we had our first night without freezing temps. As the sun's warm rays shone on our neck of the woods with temps in the 70's, a foggy mist suddenly settled on the river. The warm air touching the very cold river must have created the cloud. Joanna and I quickly grabbed our cameras to capture it and then just as suddenly, it was gone. The next few days have also been warm and sunny. We are hurrying to finish some outdoor painting before the predicted rain comes next week. It's supposed to rain Saturday through Wednesday. But don't despair you early bird fishermen, they say the fishing is great in a gentle rain. Can you see the seagull in the third picture?
Sunday, May 12, 2013
Happy Mother's Day to all you wonderful mothers out there!
John and I just went around to several of the lakes in the area to see what the ice was doing and take some pictures. Aruthusa Lake is open about halfway into the bay by the boat landing, Mitt Lake is more open, about halfway up the lake. The road to Victoria Lake and Barrel Lake is very muddy and soft yet, with snow still on the landing road to Victoria. But Victoria Lake is open in spots and the ice is very thin and black, so it should go in the next few days. I will try to get down to Barrel Lake tomorrow to get some pictures.
This week is supposed to have temps in the 60's and low 70's which will help a lot. Indian may go out mid week or so May 21, 22, or 23. That's just a guess. Heathwalt is more shallow so should be out this week as well as Barrel , which has a good current.
(Top picture is Aruthusa Lake, next picture Mitt Lake, next is Victoria Lake, next Victoria Lake parking area, next Victoria Lake landing.)
Recently we added a new feature to our website which is located on the Indian Lake Cabin page, after the first paragraph in large purple letters that say "Cabin Availability". You can now click on that link and it will take you to a calendar showing which cabins have been reserved and which are still open for rental. We have desired this feature for some time to make it easier for those wishing to book a cabin to check themselves and see what the availability is for the dates they are desiring to come stay with us.
Wednesday, May 8, 2013
We had a very warm day yesterday with temps in the 80's. Yahoo!!! That's just what we need to melt down the ice and snow here. John and I drove to Kenora yesterday to pick up some more dock materials and on the way there, we saw many lakes that were now in the black ice stage and some totally open. They are a little ahead of us, but not by much. With another week of warm weather, we hope to be ready for our fishermen opening weekend.
John, Joanna and I just took our first boat ride up the river to the lake this morning. Once we got to the lake, we could see that the ice is about 6 inches thick on the closest edge, so maybe up to 12 inches further in on the lake.
As you can see from the pictures, we are making progress. Today we are working on another 16 foot floating dock section to add to our new longer dock system. Then we will be repositioning the other docks to make more room for boats to park. Things are in high gear hear and we are excited about receiving our first guests of the season. Everyone stay hopeful and pray!
Friday, May 3, 2013
Folks are getting a bit nervous about opening fishing and whether or not the ice will be out on the lakes, and understandably so. This is probably setting records for snow and ice to still be around at this late date. However, we are seeing some positive signs of weather change which gives us great hope that indeed we will have open lakes for our guests coming for opening fishing season this year.
Just a few days ago, we had temperatures as high as the low 70's cutting the snow and ice and then we had a day of strong rain which took it down even more. As you can see from the pictures I posted, we are now looking at bare ground at camp. This happened in only a few days where we previously had several feet of snow.
The ice on the lakes is changing color too indicating it is melting. We don't exactly know the depth of the ice, but probably around two feet at the moment, probably less on the smaller lakes.
It is predicted that we will again have some nice temps coming on next week starting Monday. That will hasten the removal of snow and ice. Once the snow is melted north of us on the 325 road, I will scoot around with a four wheeler and take pictures of the different lakes to keep you informed of what is happening in our neck of the woods.